TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — The Federal Emergency Management Agency says it has settled 96 percent of the post-Superstorm Sandy National Flood Insurance Program claims in New Jersey.
The agency says that as of Tuesday, there had been 74,825 claims filed and 70,689 had been closed.
That’s a major change from two months ago when Gov. Chris Christie was complaining that the agency was processing claims too slowly in a state hit hard by the October storm.
In early February, the governor said that only 30 percent of claims had been settled. It turned out his numbers were out-of-date and the agency had settled just over half the claims in the state at the time.
The flood insurance program is run through private-sector insurance companies.
Music NewsSTEVIE NICKS SAYS CHRISTINE McVIE WILL PERFORM WITH FLEETWOOD MAC
LOST “TOMMY” LIVE RECORDINGS WILL BE PART OF REISSUE
JAMES BROWN MOVIE IS IN THE WORKS