FREEHOLD, N.J. (AP) — A judge has ordered Belmar to stop working on plans to replace two beach pavilions that were destroyed by Superstorm Sandy.
The judge’s order stops the town from using a bond ordinance and other revenue to pay for the pavilions. It also sets a Dec. 11 court date to discuss whether the project should remain under the town’s boardwalk redevelopment plan.
A citizen’s group filed lawsuits because it feared the project would cost taxpayers money.
Mayor Matt Doherty tells the Asbury Park Press the town will rescind its $7.5 million bond ordinance and change the size of one of the pavilions from two stories to one, reducing the cost.
Doherty says he changed his mind after campaigning door-to-door last week.
Music NewsPETER GABRIEL, NIRVANA, HALL AND OATES MAKE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME
MUSIC GROUPS AVOIDING SEAWORLD
STEVIE NICKS SAYS CHRISTINE McVIE WILL PERFORM WITH FLEETWOOD MAC