MONMOUTH COUNTY (NJ.com) — The number of heroin overdose deaths in Monmouth County only dropped by one from 2012 to 2013, authorities said Monday.
In 2013, there was 69 people who died from heroin overdoses compared to 70 in 2012 and 76 in 2011, Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office spokesman Charles Webster said.
Webster said the number of overdose deaths for 2013 was only recently complied since the prosecutor’s office does not count a death as a heroin overdose until a formal report is done.
Last month, the opioid antidote Naloxone, also known as Narcan, was deployed to all police departments in Monmouth County and Webster said the prosecutor’s office was “hopeful” overdose deaths would decrease with the life-saving drug.
Since the Narcan deployment, 13 people were saved using Narcan after overdosing in Monmouth County, Webster said Monday. Despite the new tool, Webster said treatment is still necessary.
Last September, Acting Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni said heroin use was an “epidemic” in the county and launched “shock and awe” presentationsin schools to help inform the community about the impact of the drug.